GoodreadsRece: Harlan Ellison - The Top Of The Volcano

I read quite a lot of sci-fi, and the name of Harlan Ellison always loomed large above the genre as one of its giants. I had never read a single line by him before this anthology of award-winning stories, and now that I did, I can say this: a giant he was, but of much more than just sci-fi. He was erudite and versatile, both in style and topics, he wrote in an amazing English (if, at times, a little too self-satisfied), and, most importantly, he wrote stunning tales.
I don't know if the short stories in this book are a good sample of his work, but they are one hell of a reading; just to name three: I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is one of the bleakest, most distressing ones I have ever read, Jeffty Is Five one of the saddest and most nostalgic, Djinn, No Chaser one of the darkest and funniest (yes, both).
I don't think I will deal again with Ellison shortly: he's not an easy reading, and my to-read list is starting to tend to infinite, but I'm glad I got to know him. He was, simply put, unforgettable.
//
Leggo parecchia fantascienza, e avevo sempre sentito descrivere Harlan Ellison in termini entusiastici, come uno dei giganti del genere. Prima di questa raccolta di racconti (tutti vincitori di qualche premio letterario) non avevo mai letto neppure una riga scritta da lui, e ora che l'ho fatto mi sento di dire una cosa: un gigante lo era senz'altro, ma non solo per la fantascienza. Era uno scrittore erudito e poliedrico, sia stilisticamente che tematicamente, scriveva in un inglese sensazionale (a volte, forse, un tantino troppo compiaciuto), e, cosa fondamentale, scriveva storie sbalorditive.
Non so se i racconti in questo libro siano un buon campione del suo lavoro, ma sono una lettura strepitosa; per citarne solo tre: I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream è uno dei più desolanti e angoscianti che abbia mai letto, Jeffty Is Five uno dei più tristi e nostalgici, Djinn, No Chaser uno dei più cupi e più divertenti (esatto, entrambe le cose).
Non credo che affronterò di nuovo Ellison a breve: non è una lettura semplice, e la mia lista di libri in attesa di essere iniziati comincia a tendere a infinito; ma sono contento di averlo conosciuto. Non lo dimenticherò.


Voto: 4 su 5
The Top of the Volcano su Goodreads

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

GoodreadsRece: Beatrice Mautino - La scienza nascosta dei cosmetici

L'informatica è una bestia strana (di serendipità e bugfix)

Netflix(non esattamente)Rece: For All Mankind